Once you've completed the installation of Acctivate, the next step is to create an Acctivate company. An Acctivate company can only be created against a QuickBooks Desktop file on the same network as Acctivate or against a QuickBooks Online company.
The Acctivate Create Company process allows for some initial configuration and mapping between the two programs, so it's a good idea to review and prepare your QuickBooks company with the required information before scheduling the initial integration process with your Onboarding Specialist.
The following information will be synchronized from QuickBooks to Acctivate during the company creation process:
- GL Accounts
- Tax Configuration
- Payment Methods
- Salespersons (not available in QBO)
- Terms Codes
- Currencies and exchange rates (if multi-currency enabled in QuickBooks Desktop, not currently supported in Acctivate for QBO)
- Vendor bills
- Sales invoices
- Sales Orders (optional for QuickBooks Desktop. Sales orders are not available in QBO)
- Inventory quantities (optional)
After the initial import from QuickBooks to Acctivate, some QuickBooks lists will continue to be managed in QuickBooks and can be updated at any time. After making changes, run a sync in Acctivate to bring over the most current list information.
In addition to ensuring the above lists are complete and accurate, Acctivate companies use information found in QuickBooks for some of the initial configuration. The Create Company Wizardfor QuickBooks Desktop or QuickBooks Onlinewill walk you though each initial configuration step, however you should have the following information prepared.
- Warehouse and Branch Information
- Warehouses include GL account assignments for Inventory Asset, Inventory Adjustment, Gain/Loss on Inventory, and Purchases accounts. Both virtual (In Transit, Consignment, 3PL, etc.) and physical warehouses can be tracked.
- Branches include GL account assignments for Accounts Receivable as well as Invoice Discount GL accounts. Some customers utilize this option to separate sales from different store fronts or eCommerce sites.
- Product Classes
- A product attribute used in Acctivate in order to group your products.
- Each Product Class will be associated with its own Sales and Cost of Goods Sold GL account set. This will be the most important groupings of products in the software.
- The Create Company Wizard will automatically generate Product Classes for your review based on a product's income and COGS account.
- Every product is required to have a Product Class, but each Product ID (item number) can only have one Product Class.
- Product Types
- Independent of Product Class, Product Types are used to organize and sort your item list. Users have the ability to perform product searches by this field.
- These are also required; each Product ID can only be assigned one Product Type.
- The QuickBooks Desktop Create Company Wizard can automatically generate Product Types based on item hierarchies in QuickBooks.
- Sales Categories
- Separate field used for product sales reports by Sales Category.
- Independent of Product Class and Product Type, yet not required.
- The QuickBooks Desktop Create Company Wizard can automatically generate Sales Categories based on item hierarchies in QuickBooks.
- Customer Lists (if Customers aren’t coming from QuickBooks during migration)
- Additional Customer Contacts and multiple Ship To Locations (only the main ship to/contacts are imported)
- Product Lists (if Products aren’t coming from QuickBooks during migration)
- Units of Measure and the related conversions
- Utilized in companies who process their items in multiple units of measure. For example, stocking a product in Each, selling in Case, and purchasing in Box.
- The QuickBooks Desktop Create Company Wizard will automatically find unit of measure relationships for your review.
- Cost Methods
- The inventory valuation method you use for accounting purposes. Speak with your accountant on how you value your inventory for tax and Balance Sheet purposes.